Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 5, 2010

The Last Song: 2 Thumbs Up

Saturday April 3, my mom and I decided to have one of our 'girls day out' and went to see The Last Song. Personally, I like Miley Cyrus as an actor, not to mention the amount of talent that girl has that goes unnoticed and unappreciated. I started out liking Cyrus during her show Hannah Montana, yes I know. It is Disney Channel and childish right? Wrong. First, I would like to say that I like Disney channel because it has 'clean' humor. No sex, no drugs, nothing vulgar, morbid, or perverted. Just clean comedy. If you have any good movies that do not involve sex, drugs, perverted 'humor', or stupid comedy (like Napoleon Dynamite) feel free to tell me what they are. I'd love to know.


For example, just typing in 'Comedy Movies' in yahoo images search engine, I find things like "The Hangover" or "Sex Is Comedy". First of all, I did not think highly of The Hangover at all because one: I thought the 'comedy' in that movie was stupid. Secondly: the message behind the movie was pathetic. A man goes to Vegas with friends for a bachelor's party, gets so drunk he forgets everything, and almost leaves his wife stranded at the alter because his friends forget he is on top of the hotel building. The entire movie is about 4 immature and idiotic men trying to figure out what happened the night before. What good message comes from that? Anyways, I will save that for a different day.


When I went to see The Last Song, multiple things impressed me. Miley Cyrus showed more talent than I thought she had, plus the movie, in my opinion was very well made, not to mention, a beautiful story (and this time, I decided to read the book after the movie so I could keep separate opinions on the two). Cyrus not only showed good acting skills, but she also presented her talent on the piano. When discussing this movie with several different friends, I was shocked to hear most of them say they refused to see the movie because Miley Cyrus was the main character. Why?

I believe that society has defined 'comedy' as crude, perverted, sexual, or pointless so actors on Disney channel never get a chance when it comes to the big screen and I think that is because people believe that the actors on Disney are there because they can't really act when in reality, that statement is false. In my opinion, if Miley Cyrus had never signed a contract with Disney, I think more people would consider seeing her movies in theaters. Why do Disney productions make a difference? Because 'mature' teenagers and adults do not take her seriously because they think that she has no talent, so in the long run, Disney has done her no justice. Yes, she has made her way onto the big screen in Nick Sparks movie as well as her songs on the radio, but I believe that is more because of the talent she offers and because her father knows the business.


If your reason for not considering to see The Last Song is due to the fact that Miley Cyrus has "poor acting skills" or no talent, I would think again. You cannot base your opinion off of a Disney channel show that is specifically made for kids and family viewing. Walk into that theater with an open mind and pretend as if you have never heard of Miley Cyrus and I guarantee you would be impressed. So instead of saying "yea but it's Miley Cyrus" enjoy a night out to see a movie, you deserve it. Oh and bring a box of tissues. I even heard men sniffling in the theater.

2 comments:

  1. You got me. I wanna see it now. And you're right about the comedy thing... Wanna help me do Youtube shorts?? =]

    ReplyDelete